Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Agents of Intolerance

Most of the time I tend to fill my blogs with jokes, humorous stories, and crazy comic book related junk. I try to shy away from the profound or potentially offending. I guess such is my nature. It kind of goes back to the old adage that there are two things not discussed at the dinner table: Religion and Politics. It is something that few people can agree upon. I often take pride in being able to see both sides of an argument. As a writer that is obsessed with accurately portraying people’s motivations, I think I tend to see the world through a writer’s eyes where I study why people do the things they do.
On a quick note, I was fascinated with the Eliot Spitzer case (the New York governor who was forced to resign because of a prostitution sting). He was this right wing, moral guy that they called the Elliot Ness of Wall Street and he was big in busting up prostitution rings but he himself frequented the use of a high-end ring called The Emperor’s Club.
Psychiatrists are saying that people in positions of power often target their addictions with rage because they hate their own addictions. If you have a guy that loves going to prostitutes but he hates himself for it, in the public eye he will say how much he hates prostitution and will fight to bring it down. Kind of like a guy who claims to hate homosexuals because he is secretly gay.
Which kind of brings me back full circle to my original point. While I try to stay away from controversial subjects and keep my blog light and fun… Man I have a bone to pick…
Old people.
Okay, maybe that’s an unfair assessment. I just hope that I never get to the age where I become so firmly entrenched in my beliefs that I am unwilling to accept change or other people’s ideas.
I like to think that with every generation, we get a step farther away from hate and intolerance. But I was having a conversation with a few older ladies the other day, old enough to be considered ahead of my generation. And they actually referred to homosexuality as “a disease.”
I tried to explain that cancer is a disease. Hepatitis is a disease. But homosexuality is not a disease. It is not something to be “cured.”
I believe that homosexuality comes from nature, not nurture. I didn’t wake up one day and make the conscious decision that I love huge boobs. It’s just the way I am. So I don’t believe that a person just wakes up one day and decides to choose a wang over a coochie. It just doesn’t work like that.
Now female gay, I can kind of understand. Women are soft. They have curves. They are works of art. Guy gay I don’t really get because guys are blocky and hairy. But as far as I am concern, let people do what they want. Why should I care? Whatever makes you happy…
But to actually refer to homosexuality as a disease… Man, I hope I’m never that intolerant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish not acquiesce in on it. I over polite post. Expressly the title-deed attracted me to study the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.