Sunday, August 27, 2006

What I'm Listening To...

Several years ago I became hopelessly addicted to the original film scores for movies. I find that this music is designed to tap into primal human emotions and I love to listen to the lyric-free music when I write. As such, I’m much more interested in talking about the works of Hans Zimmer or Trevor Rabin as opposed to Trick Hop Wizard Trickie or whatever pop band is out there right now.

Unfortunately fans of music scores are definitely in the minority. It is an expensive habit because you can’t just stroll into any store and purchase them and you can’t find smaller films in the “Get 12 CDs for a Penny” clubs. Regardless, I’ve purchased a few scores lately. This is what I’m listening to.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest by Hans Zimmer
Hans Zimmer is my favorite composer of all time. Something about his music speaks to my soul. I think he is the best in history. He owns a studio called Media Ventures, which is home for several film scorers. Klaus Badelt is Zimmer’s protégé and scored the first POTC movie. Zimmer has done the sequel and I am hoping he will score the third film of the trilogy (due out in 2007.)
Keep in mind that the first movie’s score is one of my favorites of all time. As a follow up to COTBP, this is great music on a poor CD. I listen to all my music on my computer so I rip CDs to my hard drive so I can listen to them without tying up my disc drive. Some of the tracks were okay and for some reason they put these techno-remixed tracks at the end and listed them as “bonus tracks.” They were unlistenable. But the tracks that were good enough to keep in the play list are pure gold.
It’s good action music, Halloweenish villain music, and a good ol’ fashion adventure score, just like the movie. If you liked the movie, pick this one up.

Doom by Clint Mansell
Remember playing the old Doom game on PC? Clint Mansell didn’t stray too far from the original themes of the game but it is great to hear it in full orchestral score. Tracks like Sibling Rivalry, BFG, and First Person Shooter make the cut as the best tracks on the disc. Very, very cool.

No comments: