Thursday, July 26, 2007

One third of all explorers who visit the north and south pole develop bipolar disorder.

Dr. Cox: If I wanted my pateints to be more depressed, I’d just have them read Newbie’s latest blog entry.
JD: “Why being really lonely is sometimes super awesome.”

Scrubs
My Fishbowl (2007)


NO SPOILERS!
So I re-emerge amongst the land of the living after going into self-imposed exile to read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows that was released on Saturday, July 21st. Being a long time fan of the book series, I was excited about the last book in the series and at the same time a little sad. It is strange to come to the end of an era.
I came to the Potter phenomenon shortly before the fourth book was about to be released but long before the movies came out. Potter is one of those unique series where if a genie from a magic lamp offered me the opportunity to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (or the United States’ sister school), I would jump at the chance. I would sell everyone reading this entry into slavery for the opportunity and never look back. Of course, I feel the same way about Star Wars and the mafia…
What amazes me is how much of a cultural phenomenon Harry Potter has become. First of all, J.K. Rowling is a fantastic author. I remember taking a lot of flack from friends for reading “a kid’s book” but, really, the only people who say that are people that have not read the series.
And don’t even get me started on people who think that the books are “evil” because they promote witchcraft. Effing R-Tards, all of them. I remember shortly before the first movie came out, there was an article in the local paper where one side was for Harry Potter and the other was against… but the person against HP hadn’t even read the book. Instead, they read books about the book. They couldn’t even take the time to read the book for themselves!!! Morons.
At work, half of my department is reading the book. Half the video is reading the book. While that may not seem like a lot of people, what was the last book that you knew 12 people were all reading for recreation at the same time?
Admittedly, I chewed through the 750+ pages a little faster than normal. If I am spending twenty bucks on a hard back book, I want to take my time and get my money out of it. But at the same time, I didn’t want to overhear some jerk store talking about the book and ruining the ending. Again, notice, I put no spoilers in this entry.
So if you are loyal fan, I’d love to hear opinions on the book through email or if you have never read the series, get started. I know it is cliché but the books are much better than the movies. The movies are good but a lot needs to be chopped out for the running time.
Get reading, boys and girls. I guaran-damn-tee you won’t be disappointed.

No comments: