Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Best Job In The World

I’ve had some crappy jobs in the past and now that I am growing closer to writing full time, I consider my 9-to-5 as my job and writing is now my legitimate career.
When people talk about finding their dream jobs, most are often heard to comment that their job is the best job in the world. To each his own I imagine but I believe that I have empirical evidence that I have the best job in the world. Attached is a slightly edited version of an email that I sent out to my fellow writers for the company that I am working for (the stable of writers if you will):

Hello My Fellow Writers!
My name is Ryan Foley and I am working as a writer just like yourselves. I am in a bit of a pickle.
I am writing a scene in which my hero if fighting a massive and ill-tempered boar. For a visual reference for my future artist, I recommended watching the movie Hannibal with Anthony Hopkins and Julianne Moore. But I have come to an impassible roadblock when it comes to writing for the letterer regarding the boar's SOUND EFFECTS.
I live on a farm. I have been around pigs in the past. I'm walking around my house making pig noises but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to translate that into written word. I cannot write out the sound of what a rampaging boar would sound like.
All these pages of story and dialogue and characters and pacing and violence/action levels and the appropriateness of blood... and I'm snarled on the sound a pig makes. (Is there a better job in the world?)

So, in what will arguably come down to one of the strangest email requests you have ever received, could you make a pig noise and send me advice on how you would write that out?
Someone, anyone, please, help a fellow writer out!

Your best friend forever if you can help me,

Ryan Foley


Yes sir. The hardest part of my job yesterday was trying to write out phonetically what a rampaging boar might sound like. What did you do today at your job? I bet it wasn’t as crazy or as entertaining as that. And for the record, the answer to the question was written in the script as thus:
SFX (wild boar): GGGROWARRKK

God, I love my job…

No comments: