Monday, May 05, 2008

Iron Man Proves Invincible

On Sunday, I took some time out of my 53+ hour work week and my second job writing comics to hit the movie theater. Hey, you have to treat yourself every once in a while right? So I took some time to catch an afternoon viewing of IRON MAN.
The movie made just over $100 million in the U.S. and almost $97 million internationally. With numbers like that a sequel is probably already in the works.
No spoilers, I promise.
Not since Hugh Jackman strapped on the adamantium claws of Wolverine or Chris Evans shouted “Flame On!” as the Human Torch has there been a better casting than Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. The entire cast is phenomenal.
The direction is first rate. The special effects are out of this world. And the movie is very, very funny. It is not a comedy but there are several funny moments (even more so than the Fantastic Four).
So if I were ranking comic book movies, the bottom of the scale is Spider-Man 3, Hulk, and Batman Forever. Mid-range levels are movies like Superman Returns, Fantastic Four, and Punisher. Getting into the upper echelon are the Blade movies and the original Spider-Man. The top of the heap, of course, is Batman Begins.
Iron Man is running as close competition for the best comic book movie of all time. The tone is very different from Batman Begins because there is much more humor in Iron Man. It is a much more “fun” movie.
Trust me when I say that it is totally worth the price of admission. I will stalk Wal-Mart employees when it is released on DVD and, if available, I will buy the two-disc special edition of the movie with all the bonus features. I cannot see why this film won’t make it into my top ten of the year…

No comments: