Monday, March 16, 2009

Role Reversals and Full Time Fathers

This morning, ABC’s Good Morning America ran a news piece about women becoming breadwinners after the economic nosedive has seen so many men laid off from their jobs. You can read about the news piece here.
In the interview, the woman said of her husband, AND I QUOTE:
"It's the respect. I wish I could say something different, but I've lost so much respect for him. And I think the dynamics with a man and a woman is a woman has to respect her husband. And if she doesn't, that relationship just goes away."
I know that this blog is self-rated rated PG-13, so let me think of an appropriate and family-friendly response…
Fuck You.
Now, allow me to properly represent my anger through my side of the story. Several years ago, my wife and I were both working our little crappy jobs and we had a nice arrangement. She was working for the family business (which allowed us to avoid the high cost of daycare) and I was running a video store in Claremore. No sugar coating here (since we are all friends) but we were making peanuts. So with both of us working, she was taking care of the kids, while I took care of the majority of the housework.
Within the same week, we both became fed up with our jobs and turned to each other simultaneously and said, “I want to quit my job.” So, working as a team, we decided to switch it up. She found a new job at the Tulsa DA’s office making more money than we were both making combined. So she worked full time and I took over the house and the kids. As she was making all the money, my mindset was that she should not have to do anything around the house. It took me about a month but I began to found my system and then I took it all over. Kitchen, cleaning, cooking, laundry, chauffer for the kids back and forth to school. I did it all. And will freely admit, my role was infinitely harder. INFINITELY.
Before I was just taking care of the house and working. Suddenly, I found myself struggling with a much more difficult task of taking care of the kids and taking care of the house. With this new “job” that I had, there were no days off. Your role is often overlooked. Not by your spouse (although sometimes) but by people in general. They do not see your day-to-day chores as work because there is no paycheck involved. You are alone for a significant amount of your day.
Point blank, this is a very tough job to do.
The woman in the news piece is looking at the situation in the completely wrong context. They appeared to live in a very nice home. And while he was unfortunately muscled into his position, this guy is willing to shoulder that responsibility. And they showed him surfing on Career Builder.com, so he is doing all this while he is searching for a new job.
She should consider herself lucky and she should appreciate him, several times over. This woman better be a sexual dynamo in the sack to degrade her husband so much. Maybe she would prefer to go back to the 1950s where a woman was expected to be subservient.
If this is the biggest problem in their life, I would love to trade positions with them. Clearly, they just need a fresh perspective…

No comments: