Sunday, March 21, 2010

Oklahoma Weather & Childhood Memories

I don’t want to be one of those slack-jawed yokels that say, “Gawl dang, lookie at all this snow!” However, Friday was the last day of winter here in Oklahoma. It was 72 degrees, warm, and sunny with a nice breeze. Yesterday was the first day of spring and there is a foot of snow on the ground. The wind is howling and snowdrifts were piled so high we got stuck in the middle of the road. So I called in as “unavailable” to work today.
Yesterday, I managed to make it home from work fine as the temperature was not bitterly cold and the massive wind had not kicked up yet. On Friday, I was home from work and the kids were on Spring Break. I warned them to go outside on Friday because on Saturday, they would not be able to.
Sure enough, the snow came. Normally I have to chase Jason out of the house and away from the video games with a broom. But yesterday, while I was at work, Amy told me that she could not keep Jason inside. Decked out in his black Under Armor and dressed in his Clone Trooper helmet, Jason reenacted the Imperial assault on the Rebel base on Hoth.
This got me to thinking of my own childhood and how the apple certainly doesn’t fall far from the tree. I grew up in North Carolina in the city of Charlotte. Now, for Charlotte to receive snow, it has to come up through Georgia – which doesn’t happen very often.
But I remember one winter we finally got snow… and being a young Star Wars fan, this was the moment you waited for since you saw The Empire Strikes Back. Before you were relegated to draping white sheets over the carpet and furniture in the den (until your parents discovered what you were doing). But the problem is my mother never bought just plain white sheets. So all my Hoth environments had little paisleys or designs on them.
But finally, snow. Honest to goodness, deep snow. I remember setting my Tauntaun action figures out with the cold weather Luke Skywalker riding him and then taking my snow speeder and flying circles around him (by running in the yard) to get the picture perfect camera angles for my mind’s eye.
I would flop down in the snow and play with the Tauntaun and my Wampa Ice Creature, reenacting the whole scene over and over again, despite my front getting soaked from lying in the snow… and I could have cared less. I think it is extremely cool that my sons are just as obsessed with a wonderful thing like Star Wars just as I was at that age. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree at all…

No comments: