Thursday, July 31, 2008

Attempting to Achieve Perfection

As an amateur tech geek, I’m never quite satisfied and I’m also extremely cheap. So when I got my new Razor phone a few months back, I was not going to settle for bad graphics and paying for ring tones. Screw that noise. So with a little digging on the ‘Net and using some cool programs, I started to make and load my own ring tones.
I took great pride in this, trying to find the perfect tone for important people in my address book. I was particularly proud of several of my creations.
Some of my ring tones were funny, often delving into the world of rap because it has the best beats. So for times, certain songs would ring out. The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground. Ass Like That by Eminem. Money Maker by Ludacris.
For my general ring tone, I tried to do something that was signature of me. White & Nerdy by Weird Al. The theme from Futurama. Stuff like that. Right now my default ring tone is a hip musical clip from Ocean’s 11.
I also like assigning personal ring tones to friends that call a lot. I was particularly proud of a mix I created from the song Guy Love that was featured in the musical episode of Scrubs. If you missed the episode, you can check it out on YouTube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0
I’m providing the link because of the scary results that could come from you Googling “Guy Love.” Anyway, that ring tone is for my friend Luke who is my island of sanity in the chaos and depressive ocean that is my job.
Of course, the person that calls me the most is my wife. So she gets the top of the line songs. And the question you have to ask yourself is, “How can you improve on perfection?”
For the longest time, the ring tone that would play was Marvin Gaye’s Let’s Get It On. To this day, that song is one of the sexiest ever recorded. And it is signature. You can hear the first four notes and recognize it immediately. Plus, I felt that it was the perfect music to play so I could hear it and say, “Amy’s calling.” As we are not supposed to have our phones with us at work, most phones get left on the office desk and when that familiar tone would ring out, everyone would know, “Amy’s calling Ryan.”
So how can you improve on perfection? True, it is perfect but it can also grow stale. I was hoping to find a new signature song that was reflective of our relationship and could become a new tone for her. Give that she is a woman (and what a woman!), I knew it had to be a female voice that called out.
And then last Monday I was first exposed to what might be the single sexiest song of the modern music era. I think that it will be in the same league as Peggy Lee’s Fever, the as mentioned Marvin Gaye’s Let’s Get It On (I’d throw Sexual Healing in there too), and Michael Buble’s version of I’ve Got You Under My Skin. But as things have gotten more promiscuous over the years and the bar has been raised, it is more along the lines of Bell Biv Devoe’s Do Me! and Garbage’s Number One Crush.
I never really got into the whole Bubblegum Pop era. Still, who would have thought a former member of the Mickey Mouse Club would produce one of the sexiest (and most sexually suggestive!) songs since… well… ever.
Still, I have found the perfect ring tone for my wife: Christina Aguilera’s Nasty Naughty Boy.
If you have not heard this song (and I had not until this last Monday) I give it Ryan Foley’s Strongest Possible “Space Shuttle” Thumbs Up rating. 100% Awesome. The greatest stripper song EVER and the most incredible euphemisms of all time. “Put your icing on my cake.” Giggity!
I need that song played during my Happy Birthday lap dance. Make it happen, Nation!

No comments: