Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Genetic Dispositions, Parents, & The Choices We Make…

So, as many Americans, I have been pretty hooked into the Olympics. This is our first time to watch the competitions with our DVR and it tremendously improves the experience. And in the Beijing Olympics, there is no bigger name right now than Michael Phelps. Eight gold medals? That guy is an animal – and probably part dolphin if I had to choose a specific animal.
I was watching an interview with Phelps, his mother, and Bob Costas this morning. He spoke about his mother’s dedication to hard work and their family. He spoke openly about how he followed in the footsteps of his mother and followed her example.
I have always been interested in motivations of people. As a writer, you have to be. I am always curious as to why people do what they do. If you can understand the motivations of people, you can understand why they do what they do. You can understand them. You can relate to them and if you want to make a believable character, you have to make your characters relatable.
Obviously, the deviant problems seem to surface because they seem to be the most interesting. Why are some people alcoholics, sexaholics, chocoholics, or physical abusers, mental abusers, drug abusers, or – worst of all – serial killers? And why do some people follow the path of their parents and others break the cycle?
For instance, my mother was a lifelong smoker. And to this day, I cannot stand cigarettes. I have never smoked anything and I have zero desire to. In one of my comic book assignment, I fought to make the main character a non-smoker because I hate cigarettes so much. (My idea was rejected but I fought a good fight.) Given that my mom was a smoker, wouldn’t I be more inclined to be a smoker? Yet, I broke the cycle. My mom and dad were/are big drinkers. But I don’t drink. I’m not morally opposed to it or anything but my body just can’t take it anymore. But with parents as drinkers, shouldn’t I be more inclined to drink?
My mom and dad built two different homes together. You want to break a family apart and turn everyone against each other? Build a house together. I have told Amy that if we ever build a home, it will be a turnkey home. I won’t so much as pick up a hammer. Again, I broke the cycle. Maybe it is because all of these things are negative. Hmmm.
And yet, when I made the decision to change my career back in 2001 to become a full time father, I thought about having my mom at home when I would come home from school. There was something very comforting about having my mom waiting for me when I got off the bus. And while it was a hit for us financially for me to do so, I wanted one of us (Amy or I) home when the kids got there.
My dad was incredibly dedicated and a hard worker when it came to his job. And clearly, judging my work ethic during high school versus most high school kids these days, Dad’s dedication clearly rubbed off on me.
When you first become a parent, it is the scariest thing in the world. There is no training manual. No guidebook. You never know how what you are doing as a parent will affect your children down the road. All you can do is hope for the best.
But when I look around at my life, I see myself pursuing a dream with my writing and sacrificing to work at a job to pay the bills that is just not what I am supposed to be doing. Will my kids look back as see my example and chase their own dreams? Will it make them better people down the road? One can only hope…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate Hepburn to her Grandson, as they stood by the lake looking out together, with Hepburn talking about the "Old Poop" (Henry Fonda) in: On Golden Pond:
"He's just doing the best he can."

Anonymous said...

On Golden Pond...
That was one of Diane's favorite Movies... --In fact she would sometimes call her husband (with fondness): "You 'ole Poop!".

Anonymous said...

When they get around to writing in the History books about the meaning of True Love...
They'll be well advised to use Lady Diane as an example.