Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"I’m Gonna Kill One of Them Doggone Kids…"

I was very saddened to learn of the passing of Bernie Mac this past weekend. I was really first introduced to Bernie through his television show, The Bernie Mac Show, that ran from 2001 to 2006. The show revolved around Bernie (playing himself) who is forced to raise his two nieces and nephew because of his sister’s substance abuse problem. In the show, Bernie served as the father figure and the “stay at home” dad. This was happening during the time that I had just switched my career and was taking care of my kids full-time. Because of that, his humor and the stories always hit home.
God bless syndication and my DVR. The show runs here on UPN at midnight so I record it and watch it at my leisure. Alex even has taken a liking to the show and we watch it together. Sometimes I think he laughs even harder than I do.
Of course, Bernie was great in his roles in the Ocean’s 11 franchise. He was certainly one of the funniest comedians I ever saw. I was saddened when Fox canceled his show but this kind of loss is really heart breaking.
He was only 50 years old and that is way too early to go.
You can read a great article on Bernie by clicking here.

The Bernie Mac Show was unique because Bernie would always break the “fourth barrier” and talk to his audience. He would always speak to “America” which was very cool.
Below are a few of the better quotes from his show:

Bernie Mac: I'm gonna kill one of them kids. [repeated line]

Bernie Mac: Oh, Lord! [repeated line]

Bernie Mac: Those are nice… real nice. [repeated line]

Wanda: Until you treat those kids like they're wanted, below this line [draws line on her waist] off limits.
Bernie Mac: But that's Bernie Mac's Puffs! Takin' away below the belt. Now THAT'S below the belt. It's extortion, I tell you, and I'm not having it. You can't blackmail this black male. Bernie Mac strong.

Bernie Mac: Jordan's gonna have a case of "assus beatus redus". That's Latin for I'm gonna beat his ass until it glows.

Bernie Mac: I would like to give these kids a good home. In fact, there's one a few miles away from here...

Bernie Mac [talking to girls at a slumber party]: She turned on the lights, and there... Hanging on the door was a bloody hook... From the last person who touched Bernie Mac's stereo without his permission. [Laughs. Nobody else does] But seriously, if y'all get hungry, go to a restaurant.

Bernie Mac: [to dog] Shut up before I drop yo ass off at Koreatown. Now hold on, America, don't start writing no letters. I'm just kidding. But am I lying?

Bernie Mac: Do not touch my TV, my DVD, my stereo, my dual-deck VCR. Do not touch my old school, my new school, my slow jams, my party jams, my happy rap, and you better not touch... [voice breaks] my James Brown.

Bernie, often closed his shows by talking to the camera, saying “Cut the camera off.” It was a shame that Fox did cut the camera off and now it is tragic that the camera has closed on Bernie’s life.
As Don Cheadle, said about his Ocean's co-star: "This is a very sad day for many of us who knew and loved Bernie. He brought so much joy to so many. He will be missed, but heaven just got funnier."

No comments: