Saturday, August 25, 2007

A backward poet writes inverse.

I think when dealing with any creative endeavor, there are moments of question and doubt. Sometimes these moments can be fleeting and other times they may seem like an impossible demon to slay. Regardless, I think that you have to face these fears head on with sword in hand. You cannot run from these fears and you cannot let them defeat you.
Back in the day, I began my writing career by publishing fan-fiction stories on the Internet revolving around the video game Tomb Raider. Having completed several comic book assignments and finding some downtime, I was curious if I could “go home again” and go back to writing a Lara Croft story.
Now writing prose in a novel format and writing a comic book script are two very different styles. (I have to admit that because of its speed, I like the comic script format better.) As I began to flesh out this story and started putting the scenes together, I felt those demons of doubt beginning to creep in and look over my shoulder. I began to feel those pangs of uncertainty.
The Internet can be a pretty cruel place. After all, as a writer, you are really nothing more than an email address. I began to wonder if people would even like this story. Would they hate it? Would they find out that I was a hack that had somehow managed to fake his way into the genre?
But as the story began to come together, I began to feel my confidence return. I liked the way the story was flowing and it satisfied me. I once heard a quote from George Lucas where he talked about how he made movies that he would want to see in the theaters and he was just lucky that a lot of people wanted to watch the same movie he did.
I’ve tried to take that attitude with my writing. I write stories that I would want to read. And as I am now definitely over the hump and making my way towards the end of this story, I believe it is a story—as a Tomb Raider fan—that I would want to read.
Of course the question now comes, will the rest of the on-line TR community like it? Hey, you can’t get your feet wet if you never get off the porch. Sometimes it is best to just dive in headfirst. Remember, kids, when in doubt, fortune favors the bold.

No comments: