Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Finding Beauty in the World

Set sail to sea, But pulled off course, By the light of golden treasure
How could he know, This new dawn's light, Would change his life forever?

How can I be lost, If I've got nowhere to go?
Search for seas of gold. How come it's got so cold?

How can I be lost? In remembrance I relive.
So how can I blame you, When it's me I can't forgive?


Now, look and study the verse above. Having not told you where this passage comes from, one might consider this to be the work of an award-winning poet or a talented, introspective artist. I think far too often we make snap judgments about people. What if I told you that this wonderful verse of poetry came from a tattooed, dark, heavy metal band?
The following passage is from Metallica’s The Unforgiven III from their new CD Death Magnetic. Having enjoyed the other two “Unforgiven” songs, I was quick to skip to this song in the track listings for a listen. I was blown away by the lyrics of the song because they are flat out beautiful. Obviously someone like my dad is not going to listen to Metallica. It is just not going to happen. And yet, if I just email him the lyrics without showcasing the music, chances are pretty good he would see the beauty in the song.
For all my blog readers, you can find the complete song lyrics in the link to the right.


Beauty is out there, boys and girls. Sometimes it is in places that you never expect or wouldn’t even think to look. Have a good day. I’m gonna go look for some more beauty. Go thou and do likewise…

No comments: