Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Birthday Celebrations

So for the next month and a half, Amy and I become the same age. (I know technically that is not true but it is the only time that she cannot say that she is younger than me.) Yesterday was Amy’s birthday and we celebrated by going down to Tulsa with her friends and a small cluster of mine.
A good time was had by all. There was an incident involving urination in a Sonic cup while on the turnpike but other than that, the night went off pretty much without a hitch. When you do things, hopefully, you learn from your past experiences. For instance, last time we learned that Brittany and Amy should not try to “race” Heath. Seriously, it was like sprinters versus a marathoner. And even if they won a small dash around a corner, Heath was better conditioned to win the entire race.
Do you understand what I’m talking about? The race is a drinking metaphor, people! Anyway, so I learned a few more lessons this time around that will continue to improve future outings. You can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, right?
Thankfully, we were able to leave our kids with a babysitter and were able to get out for an evening. I’ve talked about this in the past and you need time to relax every now and again. Plus, I paid for the entire trip with comic book money and that is always a big advantage.
Now, I have always said that I enjoy the simple things in life. I would much rather have a nice steak, a good pizza, or an ice cold Monster to a fancy meal and a $100 bottle of wine. I wear T-shirts and sneakers. I don’t even own a pair of dress shoes. I’ve said that if I won the lottery, I’d still shop at Wal-Mart.
Amy has a very similar attitude. With Amy it is Mickey Mouse and John Deere t-shirts, jeans, and hair in a ponytail. So on these rare occasions that we do get to go out to have fun, Amy puts it on. She wears it. Fancy make up. Her hair is immaculate. And in a style of dress that clearly more for me than her, she let’s the “girls” breathe out the top a bit… if you know what I’m saying.
And the first time we went out with her dolled up like this, she got extremely self-conscious because our waiter was checking her out. Even when her friends piled in the van this time and saw her, they were like “Oh wow, you have cleavage!”
Of course, I saw this as a good thing. I was proud to showcase my beautiful wife and let the world see her through the same eyes that I get to see her. Obviously getting gussied up for a trip to Wal-Mart doesn’t happen very often. But I love it when my wife really goes the extra mile and puts her beauty on display.
It’s just not part of a regular routine. Which is probably best because even after a decade of marriage, I find it difficult to carry a conversation with her with out my eyes dipping below the horizon… if you know what I’m saying.
So a good time was had by all. So now, I just have Jason’s to get through in early November and I am out of the birthday death zone where we have four birthdays in the space of a month. I can quit my overnight job at the Kwik-E-Mart to pay for all the gifts. But wait, how far away is Christmas? Dammit. I better get back to work. Might as well practice on my closer for the customers. “Thank you. Come again.”

No comments: