Thursday, October 16, 2008

The most important form of respect is self-respect.

**Warning: The following blog entry contains mature subject matter and may not be suitable for all readers.**
So on Tuesday, I made a trip to the Wal-Mart in Pryor to pick up a few items here and there and, as I always do, I made a trip down the toy aisle hoping to find some new Marvel Legends figures. To no avail. If you have seen the “Creation Station” – the desk that I work from, you can see that clearly I have an obsession. Still, so as I am looking at the Iron Man figures and checking out all the new Clone Wars figures, I hear a couple arguing.
But it is arguing where you don’t know if it is kids fooling around or something serious. Then I hear a female voice say, “Get your hands off of me!”
And then, I hear a distinct male voice say, “Give me my car keys!”
So at this point, I am coming around the corner when I hear the sound. We’ve all heard it, mostly in movies. There is that distinct sound like when Rocky is in the slaughterhouse punching the sides of beef. And I hear this girl cry out in pain.
Luckily, I am not the only one to hear this. Wal-Mart employees swarm the guy and I can hear a manager calling on her walkie-talkie.
For a moment, part of me froze. I wondered if I wanted to get involved. It is amazing what all blazes through your mind in a fraction of a second. Is he armed? Would I be called to testify? It is Pryor, Oklahoma but still you never know. At one point, they came past me and I should have said something to the guy. Part of me was afraid I would knee him in the groin for beating up on his girlfriend and then I would have been in trouble. And part of me would have really lost sleep over this thing. And then I heard it – the statement that absolved me of any guilt.
“He didn’t hit me.”
Yeah, she categorically denied it up and down. Man, I hope they had it on camera or something.
Okay, so, number one. You don’t hit a woman. Ever. It is just not done. Never, ever, ever in my relationship with Amy (or any woman!) have I ever considered hitting her. It is just not done. Maybe it was the way my mom raised me.
I joke with girls at work about how, “I’ll hit a woman. And you should thank me for treating you as an equal!” And then I usually follow it up with a jackhole statement like, “Everyone’s for the ERA until it is time to pick up a check.”
But I’m kidding. I have always done my best to treat women as equals but, still, you never EVER hit a woman…
And then here is this retard that takes a punch from her boyfriend and then says he didn’t hit her. This is just begging for it. She is enabling this violence to continue to rain down upon her.
If I ever hit Amy, I would fully expect her to cry, tell me she is sorry, probably make love to me, and then let me fall into a nice, deep restful sleep… Then I wake up sewn into the bed sheets and her standing over me rattling a can of gasoline. Or, my penis carefully placed between a pair of garden shears… And her spitting venom past her teeth saying, “If you ever hit me again…”
I know we shouldn’t perpetuate this whole violence begetting violence culture but, c’mon. If this woman will take a punch and then defend her boyfriend, isn’t that just inviting him to do it again and again and again?
I cannot understand it. And nor do I wish to. I guess if you are dumb enough to let them hit on you and take it, maybe you are getting what you deserve. If you are in a relationship like this and reading this, f**king leave. I’m not trying to be insensitive or cold but show some respect for yourself at least. Why is this so hard for so many people?
It just seems like common sense to me…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you Foley. Just leave the bastard for cripe sakes! I actually tried helping someone in this position and she did the same.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you Foley. Just leave the bastard for cripe sakes! I actually tried helping someone in this position and she did the same.