Thursday, December 18, 2008

Birthdays, Weather, and Other Such Things…

I’ve been out of touch for a few days and there are a few things to catch my fellow bloggers up on.

The Birthday: On the 10th, I celebrated my 34th birthday. “Celebrated” is kind of a loosely used word. Because of a minor bout of food poisoning, I spent most of the morning on the couch under a mound of blankets and the second half… Well, you don’t have to stretch your imagination too far. And given how last year we were hit with a major ice storm that knocked out the power for a week, I’m on a real birthday cold streak.
And I have found that when dealing with birthdays and that second number eclipses the first, you tend to look back and wonder where the years have gone. But I’m not laboring or lamenting about it.

A Really Slow News Day: So clearly NewsOK.com (an offshoot of The Oklahoman) is experiencing a pretty slow news day on the 12th because of the article that was posted on the web and was available in that day's printed issue.
It was an article all about some no-talent hack that has bribed his way into the comic industry by blackmailing publishers with compromising pictures and committing nightmarish amounts of extortion and plagiarism.
Check it out... Click Here

Weather: I know. When you have resorted to talking about the weather, the party is pretty much over. But seriously, you guys. American humorist Will Rogers (who’s home town in about twenty-five miles from me) coined the phrase, “If you don’t like the weather in Oklahoma, wait five minutes and it will change.” On Sunday the 14th, we saw a record high of 75 degrees and then in the space of a few hours we were hit by sleet and freezing rain that left the roads hazardous to travel. The next day we saw highs that didn’t get out of the teens.
So the ice storm, if you can really call it that, has left the kids out of school for the last three days and Amy struggling with cabin fever. I can deal with staying in the house for days at a time but Amy can’t take it. And as one of my favorite novels once said, “The only thing worse than caging a kender, is being in a cage with a kender.”
Kind of the same deal. Thank goodness the schools opened back up and Amy was able to get out of the house.

More information coming soon. Keep in touch. Only one week to Christmas!

No comments: