Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Saying “Au Revoir” to Work, Free Time and the Family…

Ah the national obsession that has become video games. My family is a gaming household. I freely admit it. Nintendo Wii. Nintendo DS. Nintendo Game Cube. And that is just my kids. I have my occasional PC game but I am a die-hard XBOX 360 fan. And like all gamers, there are certain series that capture your attention. Everyone has a different one but there is always that one game – that one series – that captivates, mesmerizes, and leaves you salivating outside the steps of the local Game Stop, stalking employees.
For me, that game is TOMB RAIDER.
November saw the release of TOMB RAIDER UNDERWORLD, which is the eighth game in the series and the third for the XBOX 360 console. Needless to say, this has been consuming a lot of my free time. A lot. I mean a lot. So much so that I have gotten the stare.
You all know it. The temperature on the other end of the couch drops a few degrees. You can feel the two glowing pinpricks of red light that were once eyes burning pure hatred into the side of your neck. There is that sharp, dissatisfied exhale of breath. And it is always at the point where you have to make a death-defying leap on your motorcycle or when a nasty, giant spider is bearing down on you. And the cold, emotionally detached voice says, “Are you going to play that game all night?”
But this game is frickin’ intense as Lara smooth calls the situation, “I need Thor’s hammer to kill a god…” And she doesn’t understand why this consumes my life so. For those of you out there that are uninitiated, check the links at the bottom and I think you will understand the obsession.
Gotta go. More caverns to explore. More monsters to fight. More tombs to raid.

Official Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9l3tfRfLXw
Game Play Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVIk8B9XdG4

Tomb Raider

No comments: