Friday, October 13, 2006

Happy Birthday Alex & Friday the 13th!

Stephen Colbert on Living at Home After College: “Your parents paid for college, the least you can do is reward them with a few more years of your college-educated presence. Show them how enlightened you are by rejecting society’s demands that you ‘get your own place.’ Plus free food and plenty of time to play HALO.”

Oooh… Friday the 13th! Spooky.
I took some time out this morning and smashed seven mirrors while walking under ladders and crossing the path of a bunch o’ black cats. Nothing!
If you believe Dan Brown, Friday the 13th was the date when the Catholic Church enacted their plan and eliminated the Templar Knights. The executions were so quick and so bloody that the day was held in infamy and is the reason for the “superstitious day” even to this day. I wonder if that is true.
I also need to take some time out to wish my oldest son a happy birthday here on the Internet. It is sometimes hard for me to believe but Alex is 10 years old! Ten! He turned 10 back on 10-10-06. The birthdays that end in a zero always seem to be the big deals. And we like to celebrate the fact that his sister, his mom, myself, his grandmother (my mom), and his grandfather (Amy’s dad) all share a “10” somewhere in their birthdays.
And I know, you are saying, “Gee, Ryan, didn’t you wish Lauren a happy birthday on the 2nd?” Yes, I did. And I’ll be on here on November 3rd to wish happy eighth birthday to Jason. So I don’t know what the deal is with February. It’s cold. The days are shorter. You want to snuggle together for warmth. Technically it is a month for romance what with Valentine’s Day and all. One thing leads to another… So for what ever reason, there must be something in either the water or the air. But I digress…

I wish I could say that there has been a wealth of information coming forth from Ryanland but I am afraid that is not the case. I’ve been working quite a bit (I’m actually writing this on my lunch break). Now if I could write this while I was on the clock… Hey, that would be pretty cool. Still, I’m just plodding along. I think there is a quote about Life is what happens to you when you are busy making other plans. That’s kind of how I feel lately. I feel like I’m just treading water right now when I should be doing things to make the world my oyster. I’m hoping to announce more comic book news pretty soon but I don’t want to talk about it prematurely. Maybe that will put me in a better mood.

Got to see my Dad last Monday (the ninth) which is really cool considering I only get to see him once every three months or so. It is one of those things that when you are a kid, you can’t wait to get out of the house, Then, as you get older, you start to separate from your parents and begin living your own life. And sometimes you get so wrapped up in your own life that weeks pass when you don’t go out and see Mom & Dad even though they only live about ten minutes away… But now I am experiencing a thing where my dad lives about five-and-a-half hours away so I can’t see him every time I want.
So you have something that is ten minutes away and you don’t go out to see it because you know, “Hey, it’s just 10 minutes away.” And then it moves five hours away and you realized that you should have spent more time out there. I really hate to sound cliché but it is one of those “don’t know what you’ve got” type situations.

Well, back to the grind.

No comments: