Thursday, October 19, 2006

Not Enough Hours In The Day...

Man, food poisoning—even a minor case—is a real pain in the gut. Pun intended. Whew, man, I’m trying to recover from a small case of the gut ache. Flat out, I just hate being sick. I mean, I’m sure no one out there actually enjoys being sick but I just hate it. And it is not like I’m carrying around a bunch of symptoms, just that sharp stabbing pain in the top of your stomach. I’m just hoping my metabolism kicks into overdrive and gets this flushed out of my system.
So other than that, things are advancing for me. For those new to the blog or don’t know me that well, or are maybe just finding this blog at random, I am attempting to establish my career as a professional comic book writer. I’ve had moderate success in the past but I’ve turned a major corner in that I had my first issue published, two comics about to be published, and my first contracted mini-series in the hands of the art team.
Without going into specific details (because I’m not sure if I can), I’ve been contracted to write another mini-series for a well established comic book outfit. This time around, it is a six issue mini-series, bringing my future total of published books to eleven. Not too shabby but it’s still not enough to draw the attention of an outfit like Marvel Comics.
But through the same company, I am presenting more series concepts and I’m hoping to land this major project that I have been working on for the better part of the year. And I’m hoping that if things go well, I might be able to submit a few 100% original story ideas—something I don’t have to pay a licensing fee for or a project that is totally my own. I have a few ideas that I might start kicking around. Time will tell. I just want to prove to the industry that I can put out a quality product, month in and month out, under a deadline. Comic professionals tell me that if I can prove that I can do that, the big companies will start calling.

It seems that I have been lucky in my life that when bad things happen, I have the resources to fend off such enemies. I get a little ahead in a paycheck, so I have the money to fix my car when it breaks down. Things like that. Well now, I’m fighting like hell to keep my head above water.
For the last five years or so, I’ve been a full time father. (Best job in the world with the worst possible pay.) So, I took care of the kids, maintained the house, cooked the meals, did the laundry, etc. After doing that job for a year or so, I had my system down. Everything was a science. And by being a well-oiled machine, it allowed me to write for several hours every day and really make headway with my burgeoning comic career.
Well now, things have changed a bit. (If you’ve been reading the blog) You know that I am now back to working an average of about 35 hours a week and supporting the family as the only source of income while Amy is in school. Because of her heavy class load and homework, I’m helping pick up the slack around the house.
So let’s see, 35 hours a week, house work, trying to still write on a part time basis… care the one, denominator… Yeah, it doesn’t leave a whole lot of hours in the week. Talk about burning the candle at both ends. (I’m writing this blog on my work break to save time.)
Still, I don’t want you to think I’m complaining. I could not be working at all (no money), I could not have a house to keep maintained (homeless), and I could not be writing anything at all (no joy). When that happens, then I’ll really have something to complain about.
Until then, I’m headed back to put my nose to the grindstone…

No comments: