Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Best Movie You Have Never Heard Of

I like to pride myself on keeping up with the current movie scene. Perhaps it is a throwback to all my days spent running a video store. So it is rare when a movie slips under my radar. Still, I found a good one.
It’s called Idiocracy and stars Luke Wilson (Old School), Maya Rudolph (SNL) and Dax Shepard (Without a Paddle). It is a comedy written and directed by Mike Judge who did Office Space (one of the funniest movies ever that I quote constantly) and created King of the Hill.

Plot Outline: Private Joe Bowers, the definition of "average American", is selected by the Pentagon to be the guinea pig for a top-secret hibernation program. Forgotten, he awakes 500 years in the future. He discovers a society so incredibly dumbed-down that he's easily the most intelligent person alive.

In the movie, it talks about evolution and how evolution doesn’t necessarily reward the smartest species but the species that can breed the fastest. Everything gets explained in the first ten minutes and then the movie is off like a rocket. Instead of a Star Trek era it is an era that has been dominated by the Jerry Springer/Professional Wrestling/Pop Culture era.
Now, this is NOT a big budget movie and it is best to watch it on DVD so you can pause it to catch all of the set jokes that are filled throughout the movie. I had to pause the movie at one point because of how Luke Wilson escapes from prison. I was laughing so hard I couldn't stop. I watched about 30 minutes of the movie, started it over because Amy got home from school, and then finished the whole thing and we just kept pointing the stupid stuff out to one another.

Pause it when they show a dollar bill, any time they show you how to spell anything, or the cover of Naked Chicks and World Report. One of the article headlines is "Shit sucks." For a movie that is flying under the radar, it’s pretty frickin’ funny.
"GO AWAY. I'M 'BATIN''"

1 comment:

kirsten said...

hey i sent you a message but for some reason i put it on more on the life of ryan so go read it! by the way this is new for me!!