Monday, January 22, 2007

POWER! The sweet smell of power!

202 hours without power. 8+ days. But finally the Foley family and RMF Enterprises are back up and running at full power. I called the house from work and the answering machine picked up to which I proceeded to do a victory lap around the store with my hands raised in victory, screaming, “I have electricity!” And after this last week, no one even looked at me funny.
Finally, the boys can return from the self-imposed exile of living with cousins and all five of us can sleep under one roof. I can wash clothes, store cold food, make food hot with either a stove or a microwave, and run a furnace to heat a pretty good portion of the house. I can shave by electric lights instead of by candlelight and I can know what I look like before I leave the house. I can walk around the house without hearing the chug-chug-chug lawnmower sound of the small generator.
In short, kids, life is good.
Hopefully since NE Oklahoma was declared a federal disaster area we will see some financial assistance down the road for the gas we put in the generator and the massive amount of food we lost.
But, I have discovered a few things about me. I don’t respond well to darkness (meaning my future as a professional vampire might need to be reconsidered). Lauren’s room really needs new windows. We need an emergency response pack stored on the back porch (batteries, candles, aim-n-flame, etc.). And the family’s tension level can survive about one week of disaster before we start to turn on each other.
But maybe now things will return to normal. OK is thawing out rapidly but there is still a few months left to wade through. Some our worst snows have been known to sneak in during the month of March. Hopefully with the blizzard (yes, I said blizzard) of November and this tremendous ice storm, we are through the worst of it.
I’m so excited I can barely talk about the Colts’ unbelievable come-from-behind victory.
More soon, peoples. It’s good to be back…

No comments: