Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Miracle of Correspondence – Monday, January 15th

One of my favorite movies is The Patriot starring Mel Gibson, Heath Ledger, and Jason Isaacs. In one of the early scenes in the movie, we see a post rider arrive with mail and the family treats it with a tremendous excitement.
Back in the days when I was in college down in Dallas, it was always a big deal to get a letter from friends. And keep in mind that was not too long ago (the fall of ’94). As a broke college student, I couldn’t afford things like long distance service… or new clothes… or name brand food… So when a letter would come in the mail, it was a pretty exciting deal.
Now, admittedly, I’m not real good on the phone. So I don’t make a lot of calls to my friends. 90% of my communication is done via email. All of my comic book assignments have been transferred via the Internet.
Isn’t it amazing how far we have come in just a few short years? Only a decade ago, an average letter would take days to travel across the country and by the time it arrived, the information was often obsolete. Now, a few clicks on the keyboard and pressing the “send” button and information is relayed in an instant. I am a bit of a tech geek so I am no longer mystified by the Internet. It took a massive storm and power outage to make me appreciate the speed in which we communicate with each other these days. Going off the grid and being cut off from the news and other people really make me appreciate it.

No comments: