Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Snow & Ice… Saturday, January 13th

Six weeks ago I talked about being buried under a foot of snow. I thought that was bad. Try an inch and a half of ice. Ten times worse. Because sleet and freezing rain cling to power lines and when the weight of the ice gets whipping around in the wind… that’s when 9,000 customers lose their electricity.
No heat. No computer. No Internet. No TV. No DVDs. No Wii. No playing outside.
Talk about painful.
So I said, “Screw this. I’m going into work!” And I risked the roads to come into work even though my boss said I could stay home. How sad is that? Still, I really, really, really couldn’t afford to miss eight hours worth of pay, so it was really a two pronged attack. If we would have had power at the house, I would have just stayed home. Thankfully, everyone on my grid seems to be out. I know that is not very karmic but maybe that means the repairs will happen quicker…
So, here I am at work, writing a blog entry on my break, even though I don’t know when I will even be able to post it. Still, it could have been worse. I could have wrecked the Jeep on the way up here… I probably shouldn’t mention that since I still have to drive home.
Driving in the ice doesn’t really bother me because I know how to do it but I’m terrified of all the idiots out there that DON’T know how to drive on it. Those are the people that really scare me.

No comments: