Thursday, January 15, 2009

Finding Beauty & Preparing for my Funeral

I have said in previous blog entries that you have to be open to your surroundings because sometimes you can find beauty and inspiration in unexpected places. I am also tremendously influenced by pop culture. I am a big fan of the television show Lost. As season five is about to start later this month, Amy and I have been watching DVDs of the previous seasons to get us reacquainted with the storyline. So in the Season 1 episode “Confidence Man,” the character of Sayid Jarrah is making a lonely walk away from the crash site to take part in a self-imposed exile. There is a song playing in the background accompanying his lonely walk. I had to do some Internet research but the song is called “I Shall Not Walk Alone” by the Blind Boys of Alabama.
Now, as if the name of the band doesn’t give it away, the song is performed by a group of black men that have voices filled with the kind of soul and wonderful, joyous pain I have not heard since the soundtrack for O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Gaining access to this song, I have listened to it over and over again. I can’t help but think of my mother when I listen to the song. It is just haunting and beautiful, joyous but sad, uplifting and yet depressing.

And when I'm tired and weary and a long, long way from home
I just reach for Mother Mary and I shall not walk alone.


Some may be surprised that you could find such tremendous inspiration from a TV show. You have to keep yourself open to beauty, kids. I can feel my mother’s presence when I listen to the song.
It is a painfully beautiful piece of music. It’s saved to my hard drive. For those close, make sure they play this one at my funeral (along with the Imperial March – my casket is to be wheeled out to that song). What I would give for one last walk. One last conversation. One last hug. One last “I love you.” It is the last words we spoke to each other in this world. But it still wasn’t enough. But I know I do not walk alone. It did not take this song for me to realize it, but I think of this more like a theme song…

No comments: