Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Moved to Tears... and that don't happen often...

All right so I'm not trying to stir up any sort of political angst here or get people hot under the collar. Unless you were living in a cave... on Mars... with your fingers in your ears... Barack Obama was sworn into office today as the 44th President of the United States. I was lucky enough to be off of work and I got to watch the inauguration on TV.
Just in case you missed it or are on dial-up like me and don't want to wait on YouTube for five hours... This is the text of Barack Obama's inauguration address.

BARACK OBAMA INAUGURATION SPEECH
Now whether you bleed democratic or still have a trunk full of McCain bumper stickers, I don't really think today was about politics. On more than one occasion, the TV anchors talked about the "peaceful transfer of power." I know that in many countries around the world, they do not have that luxury.
Whether you voted for him or not -- whether you like him or not -- I think that everyone can agree that his speech today was incredibly moving and empowering. His speech was less about politics and more about the incredible resolve of the American spirit -- and even more so, the HUMAN spirit. And I believe the human spirit transcends any border.
Admitted, I don't jump in with both feet into the political arena. I am not usually passionate about politics but I will admit this. Yes, I got teary eyed at the speech. I think it was the quote from Washington about everyone coming forward to meet the common danger. I like the part about our patchwork heritage. And I particularly liked the passage where Obama said that he would outstretch his hand if they would unclench their fist.
If he can accomplish even a quarter of what he has promised (got my fingers crossed for the wind power plants here in Oklahoma), then we can get moving in the right direction, maybe the whole world can start moving to an era of unbridled peace, prosperity, and environmental healing. Again, not just for America but for the entire world.
I know it is a lofty goal to put on one man's shoulders but I hope... I hope...

No comments: