Sunday, January 18, 2009

My Breadth of Worthless Knowledge is Infinite

I have often said that if I could ever focus my abilities towards the forces of good, I could probably cure cancer. Instead of focusing on math, history, and the sciences, I focus on pop culture, movie trivia and comic book minutiae. I have always said that my head is filled with useless knowledge. I can tell you how many focusing crystals Darth Vader’s lightsaber has, the resonance frequency of the U.S.S. Enterprise-E, and the molecular composition of Captain America’s shield. I play a game at work with the employees where they name any actor or actress and I can link them in six jumps to Arnold Schwarzenegger. It is a sickness really.
So the other day, a friend of the family spots me in the store and come up to me clearly needed an answer to a question. “So in Star Wars, when they are on that ice planet,” [technically it was The Empire Strike Back and the planet is Hoth] “they had those animals that they rode…” Without missing a beat I said, “Tauntauns.” (This was the creature that froze out in the wastes. Han Solo slices its belly open with Luke’s lightsaber and stuffs him inside for warmth.)
And with that the question was answered. The reason is because her new dog apparently makes noises that resemble the bipedal steeds. She would later go on to name the dog “Tauntaun.” But out of everyone she knew, she knew I was the person that could answer her question.
Sometimes being a geek is a curse. But it is a burden I am happy to bear…

No comments: