Friday, January 09, 2009

Happy Belated Elvismas, Media Vultures, and Kevin Costner is a Great Dumb Ass

I’ve been a tad busy and not able to update the blog as much as I would like but some things have been going on that I would like to comment on.
Yesterday, the 8th, celebrated “Elvismas” which was the birth of the King – Elvis Presley. In honor of this somewhat momentous occasion, I recommend “A Little Less Conversation” remixed by JXL (this is the theme for the television show Las Vegas) and the Paul Oakenfold remix of “Rubberneckin’” as featured in the movie Fred Claus.

As we are now more than one week into the New Year, there is a fifty percent chance that you have already broken your New Year’s Resolution. Amy and I have been talking about building a new house in a few more years. My goal this year was to quit pack ratting. I want to get rid of everything that we would not want to take over to a new house. And I am working on that. I could have gone with the standard lose weight, get in shape, or cut out drinking the Monsters but I wanted to have a resolution that I could stick with.

I would like to officially recommend Swing Vote coming out on DVD this Tuesday. It stars Kevin Costner, Kelsey Grammar, Dennis Hopper, Nathan Lane, and Stanley Tucci. This is a political movie, which made me nervous at first. I was afraid the movie was going to play up some filmmaker’s personal agenda. However, after watching the movie I could not tell if the director was a Republican (giant douche) or Democrat (a turd sandwich). The movie shines a glaring spotlight on the absurdity of American politics and the “do anything to win” mentality. It is a movie that is a comedy that sneaks in a very nice message. And in the movie, Kevin Costner is a complete dumb ass. He is apathetic, a loser, a drunk, and a terrible father. It is a wonderful acting job by him. And that causes me to raise a weird question…
According to my ACT scores, GPA, and such, I consider myself to be slightly above average in the intelligence bracket. I admit I don’t understand string theory or quantum mechanics but I think that I am pretty intelligent. So I often wonder, do dumb people realize that they are dumb? To they comprehend that they just don’t comprehend? I often wonder about that.

The earlier political subject kind of allows me to dovetail into a sore subject. This week, there were all sorts of news coverage on the Obama children attending their new schools in the Washington D.C. area. How is this news? Why would/should anyone care? I know they are the little girls of the new President but c’mon, man. News outfits should not be reporting on what they are having for lunch or what type of backpack they wear. There should be certain areas that are just off limits. Frickin’ vultures, man.

I’d type more but I’ve got more movies to watch, more junk to throw away, and maybe a little more political outrage to scream about… but that stuff just doesn’t interest me that much. Maybe instead I’ll make another action figure display. Those Marvel Legends SHIELD agents are coming out pretty soon… At least I'm focused on the improtant stuff...

No comments: