Sunday, November 05, 2006

Ahh... That New Movie Smell.

As part of Jason’s birthday presents, I got the family “the hook up” and got an advanced screening of Disney & Pixar’s Cars on DVD. Like all Disney movies, this is a really good film that had me laughing throughout the majority of the movies.
What took my breath away, being a big tech geek, is the animation. Pixar is at the top of their game. I watched the movie for the first time on DVD (Amy took the kids to see it in the theater) and I was glad that I could pause it just to look at all the bells and whistles.
If you go back and look at the tech jump from Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars to Gollum in The Lord of Rings, you have a similar jump from Toy Story to Cars in the technical aspect. The animation is simply unbelievable. And since you have shiny cars with reflective surfaces where you can actually see things in the reflections… Man, it is unbelievable. And given this massive techno-jump, it gives me great hope for Transformers in July 2007. I think the tech is going to give us one heck of an Optimus Prime.
But back to Cars, the animation is incredible and as usual, the film tops out with A-List talent. Owen Wilson stars as Lightning McQueen. Also in the cast is Paul Newman (who deserves some form of voice Oscar), Bonnie Hunt, Michael Keaton, Cheech Marin, Tony Shalhoub, George Carlin, Bob Costas, a host of NASCAR voices, and John Ratzenberger (who has been in every Pixar film).
One of the big breakout voices of the film has to belong to Larry the Cable Guy who voices Mater. I think that Larry’s “get-r-done” voice was perfect for Mater and I can’t think of anyone else in Hollywood doing a better job. Plus, I think Larry’s in his fourteenth minute of his fifteen minutes of fame so it’s good that he’ll have royalty checks to fall back on.
I’m sure I will go out and buy this one pretty soon. It is a definite rental. You will get every penny out of it. The kids loved it, Amy and I enjoyed it. I hope everyone else enjoys it as well!

No comments: