Thursday, November 30, 2006

SNOW DAY!

Yes, it’s official. Northeastern Oklahoma experienced its first snow day of the season as a sheet of ice came in and blanketed the area overnight. It was not tremendously bad. (I am writing this at work so I was able to make it in.) In a way, I feel sorry for Amy. She is going to be trapped in the house all day with the kids.

So, for those finding this blog at random, I am working in the produce department at a local grocery store to put my wife through college. When you work in a grocery store, you are able to see trends. The most mystical of one is the Oklahoma Snow Rush. Now, when it snows in the O.K., it rarely lasts more than a few days on the ground. It’s not like everyone becomes members of the Donner party and they have to eat each other to survive. It’s not Montana or Utah for Pete’s sake.

Yet, people see that S-word in the forecast and people… lose… their… minds. They all scream at each other, “Quick Honey, get the kids loaded in the station wagon! It’s gonna snow!!!” And then they flood up here and buy a week’s worth of food. Many times it doesn’t even snow. But you put that threat in the forecast… But the kicker to it is, I’ll see these same people two days later, back in here, buying more food! I mean, what’s up with that?

We often joke that the owner of the chain pays off the local weather forecasters to say there is going to be snow to pump up sales.

Still, the roads are not too bad here. I threw three 50-pound bags of salt in the back of the Jeep, took it kind of easy on the drive up, and made it to work with no problem. I just hope the way home is uneventful as well. Okay, rant over. Go back to surfing for pictures of boobies and your illegal music downloads…

No comments: