Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Even More of The Life of Ryan

For all the Ryanites out there, the proud members of the Foley Nation,
I bring you good news. I have finished my first draft of my second comic book mini-series. I’m pretty stoked about. I’m moving on to another project for a week and then I’ll come back after some down time to get that project completely under my belt.

I took time over the holiday weekend to go to the movies with my partner-in-crime Brandon. It seems like with our family’s babysitting situation, Brandon and I go to the movies more than me and Amy. So, we took a few hours to catch a screening of Déjà Vu. It is the new thriller starring Denzel Washington and directed by Tony Scott that came out on the 22nd.
It is pretty much a rule that Tony Scott does not make bad movies and every time he has Denzel in a starring role, the movie is dynamite. So, the previous films that they worked on together were Crimson Tide (submarine movie with Gene Hackman) and Man on Fire (kill ‘em all movie with Dakota Fanning). I said that Man on Fire was one of the best movies of the year when it came out and I’m pretty close to delivering similar praise for Déjà Vu.
It is an incredibly smart thriller with sci-fi physics but you completely buy into everything. It is right up there with the Terminator movies, the Back to the Futures and Frequency as far as really pushing the coolness envelope revolving around time travel.
I feel the movie is theater worthy. I judge movies based on how quickly I will buy it on DVD and I will be rushing out to buy it on DVD the first day it is available so Amy can watch it.

Speaking of which, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest comes out on December 5th. I’m already stalking video employees for that one and really, really interested in seeing the third film in the series (due out sometime in 2007).

I’m about three Christmas presents purchased away from being completely finished with my shopping for this year. Eat it, losers! Normally I would be finished by now but we had a few financial delays. I think the kids will all really enjoy their presents. It’s shaping up to be a great holiday.
More soon. Don’t worry, heroes. Even if I’m not updating daily, I’m still here plugging away.

2 comments:

Ernie Cox said...

ryan,
yes you are amazing with the X-mas shopping - I have three presents done so far.....congrats on the writing project. You're not going to believe this but i have begun visiting the local comic book shop! on my list currently Battlestar Galactica, Wonderland, JLA by Meltzer, and Eternals by Neil Gaiman (have you read his children's book Coraline? It is great and hugely popular - it is being made into a film)

kirsten said...

Hey this is Kirsten Washam Dill. I was toodling around on the internet and thought i would look you up. I knew you would have something. I read most of your blog and saw Amy was going medical. I am in the RSU nursing program right now. So if she has questions, kirstendill@student.rsu.edu.
I wanted to say sorry about your mom, I plan on focusing my career on oncology when I get out of school AGAIN! Cancer care is very important. Congrats on publishing, that is so awesome. I am still married, almost 10 yrs now. I still only have one daughter, now 9 yrs old. Boy is she spoiled. Well I just wanted to say hi and hope everything goes well from now on!!
Kirsten