Friday, November 03, 2006

Trick or Treating

So at Halloween a good time was had by all. We had a Darth Vader, an Anakin Skywalker, and a Care Bear out collecting candy. They now probably are having sugar rushes that could get them to the moon and back.
Probably the best moment of the night was when little Lauren (Age 3) ran into another little girl dressed in a similar Care Bear costume (same style, different bear). The two Care Bears looked each other up and down and then the second Care Bear proceeded to give Lauren a hug.
Even though I am a guy, I still found it to be a pretty tender moment. And when regaling the women at work with the story, I get the involuntary cocking of the head to the side and the long, drawn out, “Awwwww…”
Still, living in the country and in a small town takes away from the larger city element of Halloween. Growing up in the suburbs of Charlotte, North Carolina in the early 80s, we use to trick or treat in packs while Mom & Dad stayed home to pass out candy. You never worried about getting snatched by psychopaths as you and ten other kids ran around the neighborhood in G.I. Joe and Transformer costumes.
Having Mom & Dad drive you around just isn’t really the same in my opinion. Oh well, I don’t have to worry about drugs, crime, or roving gangs on a daily basis so I guess it is a fair trade off.

No comments: