Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Get Your Shop On

It seems like everyone has one day out of the year that they look forward to with giddy excitement. For some it is the Super Bowl, maybe the BCS Championship. Wrestlemania. 2-for-1 lap dances at the Jiggly Room. To each his own, whatever it is. For me it depends on what big movie is coming out that year.
But for my wife Amy, the biggest day of the year is the day after Thanksgiving, also known as Black Friday. This day is Amy’s Super Bowl. She gears up for it, begins cardio-training, everything to get ready. About halfway through October, she begins to itch at the thought of it. On Thanksgiving, she gets the newspaper with all the sale circulars in them and plots her route. Then she is out of the house by five a.m.
It’s been her ritual for as far back as I can remember. My job is to stay at home and babysit the kids, which means I get to avoid all of the chaos—which is probably best because you couldn’t horsewhip me into a Wal-Mart on Black Friday. No way. Thank goodness I’m working in a grocery store so I can get the day off and take care of the kids. That day is the slowest day of the year because, let’s face it, if you need food the day after Thanksgiving, you are in a world of hurt.
I have friends (a pair of brothers) that typically go to the Black Friday sales. The older one goes just to screw with people. He’ll let his brother get like an aisle away, then come sprinting around the corner, rushing up to him out of breath, and make some sort of insane (and very audible) statement. “Hurry, they’ve got 27” TVs over in the electronics for 50 bucks! But they’ve only got like ten of them left!” And then he proceeds to sprint toward electronics. All of the sheep that were crowded around within earshot hear “TVs for 50 bucks” and there is an inevitable stampede towards the televisions.
If you are shopping in pairs that weekend, give it a shot. I think it would be worth the price of admission to see how many people get mad at the managers when they explain there are no TVs for $50.00!
Hopefully, Black Friday will be the last of our shopping. I’ve always been one of those people that have my shopping finished in October. I figure that the holidays are stressful enough. Best to alleviate the strain as much as possible. Good luck to everyone on the 24th. Get your shop on.

No comments: